Integrating email with your display advertising campaign is a great way to increase your response rate from your advertising methods. Throughout history, marketers have always searched for creative ways to target consumers via email or display ad campaigns but few have tried to integrate the two methodologies into one seamless campaign- until now.
Integrating email marketing into a display ad campaign boosts recall by 13%, according to Smart Insights. Many business owners report having a close relationship with many of their regulars and email marketing has long been a great way to stay in contact. When you integrate this with display advertising, you have a win-win scenario.
Email marketing can be an excellent choice for keeping in contact with the customer. If you’re located in the US, you can use a service like ConstantContact, Aweber or MailChimp to help you stay in touch with your customers. Just be sure you adhere to CAN-SPAM act (penalties are up to $16,000 per email sent that does not comply with CAN-SPAM).
How to set up email marketing
- Getting a list started – this is the most difficult part. Sending the list is easy but first you have to build the list. Some people will be interested in signing up but keeping them on the list means you need the proper balance of marketing messages; not too much and not too little.
- Signups on website- one of the easiest ways to start building your list is to place a sign up form on your website. One method is to add it on the blog as well and use your email list to send out updates on the blog.
- Social media- You can also use social media to help drive consumers to your email list to sign up. You can direct them there from your social media networks and Facebook also has apps that allow you to integrate this directly into your fanpages.
- Choosing an email service- choosing a service to send your emails and newsletters is important. MailChimp is an-easy-use, popular service that is free to up to 12,000 emails a month to a list of up to 2,000 subscribers. There are many great, free templates to make it easier as well. Other services to consider are ConstantContact and Aweber but there are many more if you do some research.
Now that you know how to set up your list and your email marketing campaign, the next step is to integrate it with your display ads.
How to integrate with display
- Include links to your website – you can place links to your website in your ad as well as a call to action (CTA) that sends the viewer to your site. You can even use a CTA that says “Go to our website to sign up”.
- Place a cookie on your website, remarket display ads to that cookie
Remember that to be in accordance with the spam laws, you must have the “unsubscribe” link at the end of the emails and occasionally people will use it. Don’t take this personally. Sometimes they will even say they never asked for your updates (although they clearly did). Don’t feel upset about this. The point is to allow the consumer the choice. If you’re giving them quality content and interesting info, there’s a good chance many will stay around.
A study done by Smart Insights show that online advertising campaigns are enhanced when the email marketing channel is added. This works because you are increasing reach and awareness. Their study found seven interesting facts:
- The combination of display and email advertising improves advertising recall by 13% compared with just display advertising
- Email increases disposition to buy in 47% of cases and is therefore ideal for increasing conversions
- Spending power as a target group – by using email you can precisely reach your target group
- Email allowed the required level of advertising to be reached three times more quickly than display advertising
- Email advertising is welcomed and viral effects significantly improve the reach of campaigns
- Advertising/brand association is exceptionally strong within the younger target group
- The mix of email and display campaigns boosted web traffic by a factor of 4
See more of the study and results here.
When you learn to integrate email marketing with your display advertising campaign, you will have a successful method of reaching more consumers, interacting with your customers on a different level as well as increasing traffic and ROI.
Do you have any unique ideas for marketing campaigns that include email marketing and display advertising?